Day Surgery 

Good morning! How was everyone’s weekend? My weekend was by far the longest weekend ever! I mean it was one thing after the next in the Tyree household, but, I got through it and I was actually able to rest and we all know that’s always a plus.

Today, I want to tell you about our 6 year old Rèinah’s umbilical hernia surgery. She had it Friday the 17th at 7:30 am. So the night prior, I knew I had to be sure to get my rest so I could get up to get her to surgery on time. Well, guess what? I went to bed extremely late because I was trying to make sure everything was ready for her day surgery. I had to be sure her siblings clothes were laid out, homework agendas were signed, etc. My mother-in-law was coming by to stay with Lovèah at 7:30 am, so I had to be sure the guest bath was cleaned & the downstairs looked decent for company. It wasn’t required, it’s just how I was brought up.


Anyway, I went to bed at 1 am and woke up at 4:00 am. I got Rèinah up at 4:30 and we were out the house by 5:00. I was dirt tired & a bit anxious. We got to the hospital at 5:30 and I valet parked. I didn’t know what to do because no one was even outside! I was looking around to see if I saw anyone taking keys, and just when I was about to get concerned, I spotted a worker. I got Rèinah out the van & handed the man my keys as he handed me my slip and off we went.

We got on the elevator and I let Rèinah press the button to the 5th floor. She looked a little bit nervous on our way up, but she eventually changed moods and just mentioned she was very sleepy. Being that I went to bed at 1:00, I knew exactly how she felt! I had no clue how I was going to have the energy to sit for over 3 hours or more. We waited in the waiting room for a bit before they called us to a different room.


Once we got to her prep room, she got into her cute hospital gown & pants & her nurse took her vitals & got her weight. Rèinah was excited when she got back to her bed because she was able to use a pink iPad and watch kids makeup tutorials on YouTube kids and the nurse gave her some toys! Rèinah was filled with joy after that lol! While she continued watching her show on the iPad, I was absorbing all of the information from the surgical team. Next thing I knew, it was time for Rèinah to be wheeled to the operating room. They gave her some medicine to calm her down, but it made her act extremely silly!

I knew Rèinah couldn’t eat anything before surgery, so I decided not to eat as well. But please believe, once she was in the operating room, I left to grab something to eat! Then I regretted it later because it was so much food in one bagel! I had an egg, cheese, bacon & cream cheese honey oat bagel with a banana & oj. I was shocked that just three things cost $10.00! Like whaa??

I went back upstairs thinking I could eat in the waiting room… think again! Signs were posted everywhere NO FOOD OR DRINKS IN THE WAITING AREA. So, I asked the person at the desk if the pediatric waiting area had the same rule. I got to the kids waiting area all to find out I couldn’t eat there either! So, I had to head back downstairs and find a quiet spot to eat. Let’s just say it wasn’t as quiet as I thought it would be…

Once I got my seat near an outlet so I could at least kill two birds with one stone, I heard this man having a hard time breathing sitting a little ways from me. Then next thing I knew, a team came out of 2 directions with stretchers! His breathing was very loud and it sounded like a horse cough, but he couldn’t actually get a cough out.. it was just loud horse noises. I immediately started praying quietly to myself. They found out he had some medical issues and he actually was in need of dialysis. So they took him to the er.

I finally finished my breakfast {I eat very slowly} so I headed back upstairs to the waiting room. I looked up at the surgery board and noticed Rèinah was still in surgery. The nurse gave me a code number that I could use to stay updated and I loved that I could remain at ease knowing the time she started surgery to the time it ended.

The surgery was a little over an hour, but they had to be sure Rèinah was ok after the surgery. That process took sometime because she woke up cranky from the anesthesia and started crying that she was in pain. Rèinah’s nurse was extremely nice! Her name was Michelle. She made sure Rèinah was comfortable and had enough popsicles & slush.

While Rèinah was munching on her slushy, I got a call from my kids’ school. Jeremiah’s stomach was hurting but he didn’t have a temperature. I was like, “I can’t pick you up I’m with Rèinah.” No one was available to pick him up, so he had to stay there. I felt bad about it, but I couldn’t stress out. (That night my husband actually took him to the ER and Jeremiah may have acid reflux.)

Rèinah was cleared to go home so we packed up and got her in a wheel chair. She wanted a pink one, but the only one available was green. She was fine with that. Her nurse Michelle walked us to the elevator and Rèinah was so sweet. She wanted a big hug before we left and nurse Michelle said Rèinah made her morning!

What a morning! I couldn’t wait to go to bed! Now, it was time for Rèinah recover. It should only take a week to get back to herself. I’m sure she’ll be just fine.


Until next time, “laugh hard, love harder, capture each moment & sprinkle a little joy in someone else’s life.” – XO Shona~





0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *